We like to think of The IRC Village as a comfortable place to hang out and a good source of supportive chat when needed. Please use your common sense about courtesy and boundaries when chatting. Generally speaking, that’ll make for a good chat experience for you and for the others in the room. Ops are available to help smooth that process along.
If the need arises to point someone in the direction of a list of rules, we have what follows.
Some people want or need things spelled out. If you’re one of them, please enjoy the following.
CODE OF CONDUCT / RULES
Please be aware that this is not an all inclusive list. Circumstances may arise that require action on the part of the ops/mods of the room. Action taken is at their discretion. If you are asked by an op to stop doing something or to change the topic, etc., and you continue the behavior, you are showing us you choose to accept any consequences an op deems are appropriate.
• You must be age 18 or over to join the chatroom.
• You must choose an appropriate nickname. That nickname is to be used whenever present in the chatroom. Nick changes are not allowed. This helps reduce paranoia.
• Please do not “asl” or look to make a hookup. This is not a pick up room.
• Please be civil and supportive.
• This is an English speaking community. Speaking in other languages may result in action taken by an op. We don’t mind the occasional phrase here or there, but conversing in a language only a few people in the room understand is considered rude and disrespectful. We understand if your English skills are limited and will try to help however possible so you can contribute.
• If you wish to speak in private (PM for private message), you must ask that person first in the main chatroom. Please do not PM to get permission. An op may take action if this is not properly handled. The exception to this is when you need help with a situation in the room – you may pm an active op at any time. Asking first is, of course, always appreciated just in case the op is afk.
• Please be aware of server IRCSTORM’s rules and regulations. Click here to see IRCStorm’s rules. Failure to comply will result in being banned not only from the chatroom, but from the entire server. This includes mentioning another chat server, in which case the server ban is automated.
• The Village is an international chatroom. People from all over the world participate. Insulting or speaking in a negative way about a country, culture, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, ethnicity, etc., will result in an op taking action.
• The use and abuse of recreational drugs and alcohol is a triggering topic. Please be aware many of our members are in recovery. There may be times someone asks for a change of topic. Any excessive talk on the subject is a problem.
• As this is a mental health support chat, we try to discourage too much chat of a sexual nature. Please keep in mind many of our chatters are survivors of sexual abuse and as such, comments like that can be triggering. As with all matters, we look to keep #thevillage a safe space for mentally ill folks to come chat.
• Sexual harassment will not be tolerated. Along that same vein, sexually and otherwise inappropriate comments will not be tolerated. We are all mature adults and can refrain from that type of behavior. Please do not put the ops in the position of reinforcing that.
• Profanity, while not encouraged, is allowed as long as it is not excessive.
• Spamming is not permitted and will result in an op and/or the server taking action.
• Pornography will not be tolerated in any format. Do not link to inappropriate materials.
• Please do not talk about a chatter in the community who is not present.
• Trolling / instigation / provocation: Do not start a conversation or bring up a topic merely to start a fight. While we don’t mind debates, provoking or instigating others will result in swift action being taken by an op. If you feel someone is trying to start something of this nature with you, please bring it to the attention of an op. You may always pm an op. Make sure s/he is active at the time.
• Certain topics, such as but not limited to violence and abuse, are triggering for many chatters and will not be tolerated when inappropriate.
Ops take action as they deem appropriate for any situation. Please do not nag at, hassle, insult, or in any other fashion behave rudely to an op if you disagree with the action taken. This can result in further action.
Generally speaking, the first action taken with a chatter out of line is a mute, meaning the chatter’s posts will not appear in the main chatroom’s flow of conversation. Warnings are usually given prior to muting (except in extreme circumstances). The duration of the muting will depend on the op’s discretion.
If you are banned, you surely will have been warned first except in extreme circumstances if only by virtue of a recent muting. Initial bans usually last a matter of days. Those chatters whose behavior warrants repeated bans will have a longer ban imposed each time one is applied.
While you are muted or banned, please be aware that nagging the ops in PM will only lengthen the time. Rude or hostile PMs during a muting may result in a ban without further warning. Any PMs, Skype messages, Facebook messages, or the use of someone as a go-between during the time period of your muting or ban will result in a longer ban.
These are just a handful of common abbreviations used in our discussions in this channel. If you have any questions about abbreviations not listed here, please feel free to ask.
• MI: mental illness
• MH: mental health
• SZ: schizophrenia
• SZA: schizoaffective disorder
• BP: bipolar disorder
• BPD: borderline personality disorder
• DX: diagnosis
• TX: treatment
• SI/SH: Self-Injury / Self-Harm
• DX: Diagnosis
• AP: Antipsychotic medication
• AD: Antidepressant medication
• PDOC: Psychiatrist
- AFK: Away From Keyboard
Referring to Lepus as a giant rabbit is acceptable.
If you want to know more about the chatroom please watch this brief orientation video which should give you all the information you need to start chatting with us. 😉